Friday, March 11, 2011

Miriam Makeba


An LP from 1963 on the London label I found many years ago. I thought I had featured it here but a quick look in the archive proved fruitless, so here it is. Nice varied selection as the title implies - ranging from gospel, jazz and calypso. Side Two with tracks-

1. Liwa Wechi
2. Nagula
3. Carnival
4. Night Must Fall
5. Love Tastes Like Strawberries
6. Can't Cross Over

Wikipedia says -

"Miriam Makeba (4 March 1932 - 10 November 2008), nicknamed Mama Africa, was a Grammy Award winning South African singer and civil rights activist. In the 1960s she was the first artist from Africa to popularize African music in the U.S. and around the world. She is best known for the song Pata Pata first recorded in 1957 and released in the U.S. in 1967. She recorded and toured with many popular artists, such as Harry Belafonte, Paul Simon, and her former husband and South-African Hugh Masekela. She actively campaigned against the South African system of Apartheid. As a result the South African government revoked her citizenship and right of return. After the end of Apartheid she returned home. She died on 10 November 2008 after performing in a concert organized to support writer Roberto Saviano in his stand against the Camorra, a mafia-like organisation local to the Region of Campania."



Miriam Makeba - Side Two

2 comments:

Trotski said...

Sorry if this isn't protocol, but I couldn't see any way to contact you that was not by the entries on your blog. I am trying to track down a track called "Last Chicken In The Shop" by The Les Dawson Syndicate. It was the B-side of a track called "Oh Yeah" by Johnny Stevens and The Les Dawson Syndicate, whicjh I would also like to find. I had this 45 when I was a kid and one way or another I lost it. Would have or point me in the right direction to find it. They were fun tracks so I thought you may be the right person to contact.

Wastedpapiers said...

Thanks for the enquiry Trotski - alas I cannot help you. I've heard of the record you are after but I don't have it.