Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Calypso Carnival



Scouring the archives I thought I had uploaded this one before but I couldn't find it so here it is. It was released in 60's on the Melodisc label inthe U.K. The blurb on the back of the 10" sleeve proclaims -

"In this album you not only have Calypsos in different, colourful and contrasting styles from Trinidad's leading calypsonians in The Lion's "COME PUNKSIE", a contsant favourite to George Browne, The Roving "trooperdor" singing "The Single Man", an old Jewish melody - to the Mighty Terror expressing in "Chinese Children" grave predicament with seriousness and feeling which is undoubtedly felt by many today.
Perhaps it was at this stage Meloldisc Records Ltd. decided to give "Calypso Carnival" a fuller Federal Caribbean flavour and leaving Trinidad to the South they proceeded North to Jamaica for haunting mentos by Tony Johnson and Eric Hayden - the former giving his advice and opinion on the Smarter Sex. Leaving Jamaica they go to Haiti for the Calypso Merangue "Stone Cold Man" by the Charmer. This is the current craze in the Caribbean, Norht and South America. In this you will note strong French influence, but unlike the French in "Sone Cold Man" the blame is on the wife. "

Discover more about calypso HERE.


Lord Kitchener - Big Toe

George Browne - Single Man

Eric Hayden - Give Her The No.1

The Lion - Come Punksie


These SendSpace files are available for seven days or until exhausted.

9 comments:

alfa said...

Thanks! Great old time jive-calypso.

Wastedpapiers said...

Thnaks dropping by alfa. Glad you enjoyed the tracks.

Canalh said...

Merci, c'est super !

Wastedpapiers said...

Mon pleasure! More calypso and highlife etc. coming soon.

baikinange said...

I didn't move fast enough and only the first two songs are still available. I know the Kitchener tune as "Don't Kiss Me So Low". Thanks for making these available, and I'm going to have to be more diligent about stopping by your site regularly!

Wastedpapiers said...

Sorry to hear that baikinange. I would uplaod them again but a bit busy at the moment.

The Impaler said...

I, too, love the calypso stuff, and was saddened at only getting the first two. But... I'll check again in a couple of days!

Nice work (and I put some new stuff up on the Shellac SHanty too tonight)!

Brad

FredrikO said...

Hi! I would love a re-post of this. Seems very interesting. Great blog!

Wastedpapiers said...

I will try and upload this if I can find it! My records are in no order though so may take a while!