Thursday, September 08, 2005

Billy Cotton Band


Growing up in the 60's meant the Billy Cotton Band Show on the radio at Sunday lunchtime whilst the roast and gravy was being dished up is ingrained into me. His catch phrase of "Wakey-wakey!" was hollered at the start of every half hour of music and family oriented merriment.
His dance band was big throughout the 40's and 50's with numerous hits including "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts","Friends and Neighbours and "I Saw Mummy Kissing Santa Claus". In the 60's he had a regular Saturday night show on the BBC TV that last many years.
On this 45 E.P. I found at a boot sale (?) the vocalist is Alan Breeze who sang with his band for over 40 years.

Billy Cotton Band - The Woodpecker Song

Billy Cotton Band - The Marrow Song

These You Send It files are available for seven days or until exhausted.

3 comments:

splogman said...

lovely! Thank you for this project, Michael

Wastedpapiers said...

No problem Jan. I love sharing my old scratchy record with everybody! I should have started this blog a long time ago but just didnt know how to make links etc. I've learned quite a lot over the last few months!

Russell CJ Duffy said...

WAKEY WAKEY WAKEHOO