Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Paddy Roberts


Found this record some years ago at Brick Lane flea market. It contains some charming if rather effete songs about an England that doesn't exsist anymore.
Publisher's blurb: "The somewhat low and twisted songs in this collection are the mutterings of the leader of the Victorian 'beat' generation, and the original angry old man.
Paddy (Methuselah) Roberts is an ageing and rather passé; words and music man; a square in musical circles, unable to 'dig' the trends of today's jungle music, and who is happiest when reminiscing about his brief hours of glory (spread over a twenty-year period) when he wrote such commonplace doodles as "Horsey Horsey", "Softly Softly", "Lay Down Your Arms", "Meet Me On the Corner", "Pickin' A Chicken", etc., which disappointed his dear old intellectual mother but pleased his local bank manager. Among his hobbies is collecting antiques, and his most prized possession is himself.
This is probably the dear old man's last fling and is published more in pity than in hope. The author will be happy to supply a list of his other works which are not obtainable from your local music dealer." 1959

Paddy Roberts - The Architect

Paddy Roberts - The Big Dee Jay

These You Send It files are available for seven days or until exhausted.

6 comments:

Nan said...

Michael, What treasures you have. Still haven't been able to hear them, but love the album covers and blurbs about them.

Since you have such an eclectic supply, I have hopes that you may be able to help me identify an album cover (I think it is, but it may just be a picture)that my nephew sent me as part of a riddle to guess the name he and his wife have chosen for their baby. It's posted on my site along with my plea for help.

It's driving me crazy. I wish there was a search engine that would allow you to put in a picture instead of words. That will probably come next, or it may already be out there, and I don't know where to look. I hope it isn't presumptive to ask if you'd take a look. If it is, I apologize in advance. Thanks, Cate

Wastedpapiers said...

I will take a look cate. You never know. Thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry you can't hear the songs. Angelica said she had the same trouble. Virus protector on guard or something?
Our virus protector must be rubbish because I never hav such problems!
Not heard of a search engine for images but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before there is one.
Dogpile is quite good for finding them by description. you could try typing in subject matter and see what comes up.

Wastedpapiers said...

I took a look at that album cover cate and delighted to find it was one that I new quite well. I left an answer on your blog.

Nan said...

Michael, Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have e-mailed the info you gave me to my nephew, who no doubt will be mightily impressed that I have contacts such as you.

I'm guessing the reference to the butcher and the candlestick maker may have to do with "the muffinman who lives on Drury Lane," or Dury Lane(?). The rhyme popped up in Shrek, and my nephew, being a new dad already, and a movie buff to boot could have equated muffinman with baker which fits in the first clue.

When he replies to my e-mail, I'll let you know what he says. This has been fun. Everyone should do this with their baby's name. Thanks again!

Wastedpapiers said...

No problem cate- glad my abundance of useless knowledge has come in useful at last!

Nan said...

Got a reply today. That was it! Thanks again Michael.